8 Tips to Stage Your Home
If your home is in the market you want to do whatever you can to help sell it as fast as possible. Whether you are selling a home in Wilmington, Panama City Beach or Quincy Massachusetts, staging your home can help the marketing process of your home.
Many people hire someone to stage their homes and prepare them for sale, but if you want to save some money you can stage your home yourself with some simple tips.
Here is what you should do:
- Make sure that the yard is properly landscaped and clean. Your yard is the first thing that prospective buyers will see when they come over to have a look. Make sure that the lawn is mowed and the flowers are healthy. Make sure there is no garbage anywhere in site.
- After they see your lawn the next thing prospective buyers will see is your porch so you will need to make sure that it looks inviting. Make sure that you have a clean and inviting doormat and put some potted plants on there. You should place some nice looking porch furniture there and in the evenings make sure that the porch lights are on.
- One of the easiest ways to help sell your home faster is to make sure that it is sparkling clean. Go from room to room and get rid of all the clutter and then get a fresh coat of paint on all the walls (use neutral colors). Make sure that all the floors and washed and highly polished and clean and tidy all the furniture.
- Get rid of “your style”. What may be appealing to you may not be appealing to a prospective buyer. If you want to sell your home fast make sure that it is neutral. Get rid of anything that reflects who you are and allow prospective buyers to see themselves living there.
- If you don’t have the right furniture you don’t have to spend a lot of money to buy new – there are furniture rental stores that will rent you furniture for a few hundred dollars. Focus on furnishing the kitchen, living room and dining room – these are the most important rooms when selling your home. The bedrooms should have a bed and a side table as well as a lamp or two.
- Make sure that the bedrooms are gender neutral – they should appeal to both men and women. Have beddings in clean, plain colors but add a touch of sophistication with a few unique items. Make sure that the closets are empty – prospective buyers want to know whether they will have enough room for their items.
- Get rid of all toys. While there may be interested families that will have children, they don’t need to see toys all over the place – keep in mind that the reason why they are looking to buy a new home is so that they can get a fresh start. You can rent a storage container and keep your items there until you settle into your next home.
- Clean out the guest rooms and make sure that all clutter is out.
Before and After Home Staging
Another generic tip is to avoid over-upgrading your home — you wont always see the return on investment!
- Homes that are staged spent 73 percent less time on the market
- Homes that were staged at the time listed sold 79% faster than homes staged some time later
- The average time a staged home spends on the market is 4 months
- The average time an unstaged home spends on the market is 6 months
More Home Staging Tips