Are You Ready?
If you have a skill that you enjoy it may be time to consider marketing your work and selling it to others. Craft businesses are harder work than many realize, but they also provide an opportunity to earn a living doing what you love.
Many people idealize the notion of self-employment and being your own boss. What many don’t realize is that a home business requires a huge commitment of time and resources, especially in the beginning stages. It can be rewarding, but it’s important to go into it well-prepared and understanding all that is involved.
Before starting a home craft business there are several things you should ask yourself that will help you plan and be better prepared.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Start
- What craft(s) do you plan to sell?
- Will you target a particular niche? (best bet)
- How much time does it take to create your items?
- How much space will you need to create and store your products and supplies?
- Will you sell solely online? Locally? Both?
- Who is the target market for your product?
- Will you need to hire help or take any classes to manage your business?
- Do you have the time and resources to devote to getting a business off the ground?
- Do you have supportive people around you?